Friday, January 24, 2014

Harry Potter Scarf

Tonight I finally finished the project that I had been hoping to do for a very long time.   I made my first Gryffindor Harry Potter Scarf!
 
 
This was a project I had planned years ago and even purchased the yarn for, but I had too many other projects to work on (Can you say BSU blanket that took forever!!!) Even as I approach 25 years old I still consider the Harry Potter series to be one of my favorites.  The universal theme of good vs. evil is so wonderfully portrayed in this series I feel as if it will never get old.  And besides, who doesn't wish they would have received that coveted Hogwarts acceptance letter when they were eleven.   Life's tough being a muggle :)
 
 
To make this scarf I simply used rows upon rows of double crochet.  Then I toped everything off with some good ol' fringe.   Because I tend to be a super nerd, I had to add the little detail that each block of color has seven rows (One for each book/year)  I was making this for a very tall friend so I had to make sure it was a long scarf.   I ended up doing 18 blocks of color.
 
I can tell you right now that if you enjoy crochet and plan on doing this, be prepared for the monotonous task of sewing in your ends.  I would have had this scarf complete before Christmas, but for those darn ends.   Its the curse of having to switch colors so often.  Because of the drastic difference of the two colors I don't recommend hiding your yarn underneath as you go (I think the colors would show through too much) just take that extra time to complete the pesky chore of sewing the yarn in at the end.
 
 
Hopefully very soon I will get a chance to make a Slytherin themed one for my husband, and then I can go purchase more yarn to make one of these Gryffindor ones for myself!  Then maybe one day I'll grab my scarf and set out in hopes of finding platform 9 3/4. :)
 
Here are a few photos of myself modeling the scarf before I gave it to him.  Since I'm so short I had to wrap it twice around my neck to make it the right length!

 
Hope you enjoyed this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment